Thursday, February 21, 2008

Trying to clear some things up

Let me start out with the questions about my child's academic problems. First of all SC Connections Academy is a virtual public school that was just recently approved by the state school board and will start accepting applications to it in April. The student will still be taught by teachers only via computer and still will have all the text materials (and computer) supplied by the school system. Each child's learning abilities are reviewed and each will be placed in a particular learning criteria. If there are any field trips they would go on those as if they were meeting in the usual building of a public school. Only catch.... the complete state of SC is only allowing 500 students. This virtual school is really done well in other states and you can check it out at : www.connectionsacademy.com Then there is another option for Elena next year. The school board in our area are really considering single gender classes in all the schools. Mainly in the major subjects because male and females have different learning styles and the couple of school which have gone to single gender classes have had success with the grades they are getting out of the students. Elena is very easily distracted and mainly by the boys so this would help her. A local high school just announced that they are going to go to single gender classes this Fall.
The support team we have been working on to try and get for Elena since NOVEMBER may still come along. Monday, March 3 we have a meeting to go over the test results of that she took with the school psychologist and then we will find out how they are going to help her. Maybe a little too late but at least we can get it started and if need be can continue this on to the 8th grade which I know now she will pass. Things are not perfect but they are improving.
Now my leg/hip. Nothing triggers it or helps the pain. Except now drugs to keep down the inflamation because of that defect in my lumbar area there isn't much than can be done except that. The injections they gave me before the MRI and now the predisone regiment and the ativan to help me sleep has kept me pain free for I would say close to two weeks! However the predisone is not my friend and I hate the way it makes me feel. I am very anxious, depressed and can't sleep that is why the doctor gave me the tranquilizers which help but make me very groggy. Today I am happy to report the side effects are lessening some and I am only now down to four tablets a day for that till tomorrow it will go for twice for the rest of my time frame for the medication. I need to get back into my exercise and mainly now the strength because I feel that if I can build the strength up again that will help keep down the inflamation once I can finally get off the steriod.
Now for Jim. He is due for his pre-op work next week then to admitted to the hospital on March 5th, 2008. He spoke with our doctor who we extremely trust and the doctor encouraged him to do this. His cardiologist is actually going to be monitoring his blood levels through out the complete ordeal and he will have to be hopsitalized and won't be able to have this done all out patient like we were hoping. The ultra sound and biopsy would all just be so simple if it wasn't for the mechanical heart valve but that is what life has dealt us and that is what we have to do.
Got another program with the Schmooney on a big stage on March 1st. It won't be long! Elena is very excited but I think we are going to say this is the end. She needs to broaden her horizons and I can tell it's getting reputitious. Soon, Karla will be home for good from college and she and Elena can do what she really loves and that is the horses.
Wedding plans are coming along. I emailed my family and only my Dad's side has responded to the news. This concerns me because no one from my Mom's side of the family came to Danielle's wedding and now with my sister and no response it has me a little hurt. Terri and I are planing a shower for her near the wedding date and she wants to have it at her house. Guess what? She's getting new hardwood floors/ painting and all done for it! UGH! I mean please can we we just be normal people for once and not so showy? I know she doesn't realize it but please it isn't bad as it is. Karen's pattern she picked out in the department store she won't be getting from us. The silver ware she picked out is over 100 dollars for a fork! Anyway, we marry lawyers I guess we can afford things like that now. Detecting bitter grapes??? Yes, I am envious and I need to pray about this. BIG TIME!
Before Jim gets down and out taking time off from work for this 'procedure' I really need to scoot Elena to the postoffice for her passport. She still doesn't know about the surprise cruise but the three of us have to be present for legal representation of this minor and also the postoffices only do these on appointment times so I need to get my act together and get some things lined up because I don't know how long it will take to process her application. I can't imagine in taking as long as it did for me because she's a minor.
This is a long one and I hope it clears some questions up what is going on with us right now. So far, 2008 has been very interesting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

BTW, just realized today's date. It would of been my parents 49th wedding anniversary... Ewwww!