Why do I print out recipes and buy cookbooks only to have them on the shelf and still wonder what I am going to make for dinner? Most likely that will be on my headstone "Huge cookbook collection proved to be useless" We did grill fresh salmon steaks last night which were very tasty. When I DO KNOW what to make usually my sweet husband enjoys every bite but then there is the DAUGHTER. HA! She would rather have pasta with no sauce or a preservative filled can of Chef boyardee ravioli mess. I remember loving the spaghetti O's and that was credited to the catchie commercials "UT OH SPAGHETTI O'S!" and not for the taste. No matter what though food is important growing up. Not only for the substance to live but the memories it creates in our minds. Chicken dumplings, peanut butter cookies, Brunswick stew, not to mention them all were some of my favorites from my Grandmothers. Now, what food will my daughter think of when she is older and I am gone?! "I remember Mom, she opened a can really good" HA! Well, we will hope that her pickiness surpasses soon and we can ALL enjoy some tastes maybe from one of the BOOKS on my shelves.
The thing is I do love to cook. I saw a 'garbage bowl' yesterday at the grocery store from the Rachael Ray collection ($12.95) and was tempted to buy it. Then I remembered Jim telling me I had more gadgets than he had tools. OK, that is a little extravagant buying a plastic bowl to just hold trimmings that as you prepare a meal to throw away later or is it?! My secret desire of being a Food Network Star or a Pampered Chef rep evident all through my cabinets and drawers in my kitchen still I must ask you this...
what's for dinner?
If you dare to comment tell me what food growing up gives you the most comfort and who do you relate it to.
Grace and Peace,
Donna
5 comments:
I had lunch with friends today and we all agreed, we love to cook, the hard part is deciding what to make.
My favorite dish that my Mom made was a stuffed breast of veal, made with bread stuffing.
My favorite dish from my grandmother was her homemade lasagna. She even made the wide noodles by hand.
I was just saying today that I should stick to 30 or so recipes, that way I could perfect them. It seems like everything I make is an experiment. We hardly ever have the same thing twice.
Hahahaha...there isnt enough room here for me to talk about food. LOL
I don't enjoy cooking, and don't particularly enjoy eating.
Never made my kids eat things or finish there food.
No favorite dishes...my grandmother always made fried chicken...I ate it as a kid, but as an adult I dont eat fried food. My mom was a terrible cook and stopped cooking for us when I was about 12...says we were too picky...LOL (yvette pt 1)
(yvette pt 2)
My kids on their own as they got older, tried more things and actually eat pretty healthy.
As far as menus...we do eat the same things over. For a very long time, I've made the meal planning a family thing..then I know everyone will eat. LOL
Probably more than you wanted to know, huh? LOL
`yvette
Growing up - as early as I can remember - pulling a chair up to the counter so that I could help my mom make biscuits. Roll out the dough, flour it, and cout out the biscuits. This was an almost daily ritual for my entire life. So biscuits - real southern biscuits - not the kind in the can, no way - are always a reminder of growing up and my Mom. She even had a specific biscuit bowl that had belonged to her mother. That bowl is proudly displayed in my china hutch. Happy southern cooking, Kathy
From my Mom: Homemade soup - it wasn't an everyday thing so that made it special. And homemade mashed potatoes & gravy!
From Grandma Sally: As a child I remember her stew. It was on those deays I would eat upstairs at our house then go downstairs and have dinner there too! ha!
From Grandma Jean: Homemade pasta, sauce & meatballs. A ricotta cheesecake pie (she called it a sweet pie) that was amazing.
- Kathy, NJ
Post a Comment