Sunday, April 27, 2008

Showering weekend

It's done. Shower went well but with a low attendance. Still, it was a nice time and we met her future step daughters. Her fiance' has two daughters 8 years and 5 years old from a previous marriage. It was a surprise that they came. The girls asked Karen last night if it was OK if they came. I think that made Karen feel good that they wanted to be a part of it. They both made her a sweet card and even my sister made a big deal out of it. I was taken back with the shock of my selfish sister actually showing some compassion to a younger person. I always felt there was good in there somewhere... HA! But when I saw this I was still shocked, pleasantly shocked.
Elena wore her new dress she found with matching shoes for the wedding. She wanted to show off I think and we just will need to work on the hair.
On Friday I went shopping dragging along my friend Barb to help me find the perfect outfit for the shower. I found a outfit of a periwinkle blouse and a black and blue polka-dotted flowing skirt. Also was shocked with the size I am now wearing. I knew I had gotten heavier but it is worse than ever now.
Of the food/drinks I provided I was really happy how well received the cake was from the guests. It was actually a sheet cake I ordered from Costco that had a cream cheese icing with a vanilla cheesecake mousse filling. I picked yellow rose buds that was in squares which helped with cutting of this very thick cake. Some people actually had two slices! The price was really good too. I made my Sangria punch that I made for my Dad's 70Th party almost 4 years ago and had the assortment of teas and nuts and cut up fruit. Karen took the leftover cake to freeze and she could serve it at the rehearsal dinner. I think there was plenty left.
Tomorrow morning I have my annual mammogram test to be done. Elena is off from school tomorrow because it was a snow make-up day. Since the school system only used one day that is why she has tomorrow off. I am going to drop her off at Jackie's while I go and then we will do something together when I am done.
Had a flare up with my hip this morning. I had to take a pain pill and not go to church. It's amazing that I was able to co-host a bridal shower.
Well, it's time to say goodnight.

2 comments:

Rose said...

It sounds like the shower was very nice. I'm glad that Karen's soon to be daughters came to the shower and that Karen is getting along with them well.

We love those cakes from Costco, we get them whenever there is going to be a large group of people.

They are now building our new Costco and moving along quickly. It is to be open this summer.

I hope your hip feels better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful shower! ;0)
`yvette