Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hospital update

Hello from St. Francis hospital! Jim was admitted on Saturday which we at first thought he wasn't going to be admitted. We never heard anything that morning when they said they would call and I called the hospital after lunch asking about it. At that time they were going to wait till 3:00 p.m. in hopes that there would be a discharge because the hospital was filled to capacity and there wasn't a room available for him. Finally at 3:00 we did get the call that they had a room and he needed to be there at 5:00 p.m. I felt really guilty because we could of taken Elena to the Schmooney program but she sure wouldn't of had the fun she had spending the weekend with Dillon and his mom. After asking her choice of what she wanted to do I didn't pick her up till Sunday evening around 7:30 after spending all the time I could with Jim at the hospital.
Today we spoke with his doctor who will be doing the biopsy tomorrow and I asked how soon we will know the results and it may not be for 7-10 days! He said he doesn't want to rush pathology and that the slides could be sent to Hopkins Medical for second opinions and that it was very thorough and less of a chance for error. I liked that but at the same time I think we would love to know what if anything is going on.
Had a meeting with Elena's team of teachers, the school psychologist and the guidance counselor to discuss the outcome of the testing and what we need to do for Elena. All the teachers were bragging on how much she has improved and the psychologist said she does not have a learning disability according to the testing. He almost questioned the LA teacher's tests and why she is doing well with daily work but not doing well with the quiz's and tests. It was awkward being there by myself but they all were very supportive and tried to make me feel comfortable. Unfortunately her test results made it that she is not qualified for special assistance. Her teachers feel she should still have something for her to help her through 8th grade and then through high school. In fact, when I came home last night there was a message from the Math teacher on my answering machine to call her at home. She said we may have to do some 'lying' to get Elena on the 504 plan that will give her special assistance for her test anxieties. We shall see.
Elena was happy with all the good comments I told her that came from all her teachers even the two student teachers. They all said she was such a sweet child and that they wish all their students were like her.
It's a dark, gloomy day today and they are predicting severe weather. I hope I won't get caught in it going home this afternoon.
Well, I just wanted to update you all on things and that I'll be glad when we are all home again.
Thank you all for your prayers and please keep praying!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for keeping me informed. I talked to Jim yesterday afternoon and he was hoping that they could do the test today, so I was wondering about when they would be doing it.

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers your way!

Smooches,
`yvette

Scotto said...

I'm kind of confused about the tests the psychologist has given Elena. It seems to me that the teachers have seen enough evidence that would suggest otherwise. It also seems that you already knew otherwise. A lot of times schools fight to classify students merely to save money.