It's after midnight and I really should be in bed but wanted to those who may be wondering how it all panned out Friday night and Saturday here is the report.
Friday night the dress rehearsal was from 4 to 8 p.m. Of course of all days to get rain we would have that happen that night and top a tornado warning on top of all that as well. Elena was all in makeup for it WAS a dress rehearsal and they did end the rehearsal promptly at 8:00. From the car in the pouring rain Jim called the youth pastor to find out where they were at the time so we could bring her to them. I ran in the rain into CVS to buy some make-up remover wipes and we tried to clean the majority of what we could off of her face. It took us a good while to find the place and in fact at one moment we were thinking 'maybe this all-nighter isn't such a good idea in the first place!' and we were even from time to time trying to convince Elena that maybe she should just go home and get her rest for the big performance which we had to be at the theater at 8:30 that morning! No, it wouldn't sit well with Elena to do that so we continued on to try and find the place in the pouring rain. It wouldn't be so bad if it was in a town we were familiar with but it wasn't. FINALLY we arrived and as we left the parking lot of the amusement park the rain STOPPED! Yes... I kid you not it stopped. We then went back into town to get something to eat. Came home and watched TV long enough to go back out to get her where they were which was at a skating/bowling place nearby around 1:30-2:00 a.m. Elena had a fabulous time and she did not act upset about us picking her up before every one else. We arrive in the small town of Laurens again LATE although we had a map but still we made a wrong turn or something and we did ok getting there probably about 15 minutes late. Jim and I drop her off at this little movie theater that you walk through a cafe to get to and were told 100 people were expected to see this big event. Yes, it was a big event and the show was awesome! Elena did great and the other kids also. I have to tell you that it surprised me so much how well this show was choreographed and how the kids knew their lines and songs. Elena's part was made up by Elena herself! The director said she gave her the authority and the author of the book as well as many others were praising her for how she was just so good. It is hard for me to understand how a child with such anxiety over certain smells, fabrics, and situations can stand on stage in front of many people and appear calm, cool and collected! This is a ADHD child???? The author of the book/character asks about my Dad and how he would love for him to acknowledge the show in the next advisory meeting he was going to be at with him on Monday. I wish he was there but my Dad and his wife were at the beach instead. I sent him a email to make sure and be there at the performance in our local town in October and I have yet to hear back from him. I am trying to prepare myself for him to say either he didn't get the email or that he had a meeting on one of his many boards that he is involved in and can't make it. That's ok, I will get other people there who really care about Elena and of course her number one fan will be there and that is me and her Daddy. LOL
So next week no rehearsals ALL week! But the week after until the next show which there will be a cd of the music and all they will rehearse once or twice a week to keep it fresh. Then the director said we will hold on to Elena's costume for you so that she doesn't have to worry about losing it for future shows... FUTURE SHOWS?!?!? They are planning to take this on the road! The Schmooney is the mascot for the literacy association for South Carolina so it makes sense that it could be going to many other towns in S.C.
I have photos but I have to photo shop some of them because it was hard to get the lighting just right.
Have a great day! I will blog later from a stars home. LOL
2 comments:
I can't wait to see the photos. It sounds like the show is terrific. I'm glad that your (Elena's) plans worked out. Maybe I will get to see a rehearsal.
In answer to your comment..We did get the imperial blue color, sometimes it looks black. I'm not sure if your car is that dark.
Rose
Wow! Tell Elena I said "Congrats!" That sounds like a great gig! I'm glad it has worked out well.
Post a Comment