Sunday, June 24, 2007

Four Days Later.....

I have so much to say I don't know where to begin... So, I'll update from where I last posted. I checked on Jim as I stated and he decided he was going to call his mother and tell her what was going on and see if she cared we brought in germs. He was feeling a little better so he just wanted to see what she would say. She told him that not to worry about bringing germs that she just wanted him to see how he felt. So, he decided to take a shower and try to go that is when he vomited a second time. I took his temperature and it was 100.6. I called his mother and told her we would not be coming today but maybe tomorrow. She asked me if I took his temperature and I told her the reading. She immediately got excited that that was too high and that he needed to see a doctor. I found that yes it was a fever but was a little confused at her reaction and I told her I would get him to see the doctor because it is so that he can't be running a fever with his mechanical heart valve. We made an appointment as a work-in at 10:50 and Jim tried to get a shower again. He felt much better nearing the time we would leave for the appointment and decided to just go to Mississippi. I told him before he phoned his Mom again that maybe she misunderstood how high his temperature was and yes she told him she thought I said 106!!! We rushed out and I ended up driving most of the way because Jim wasn't still really feeling good but he still felt that he was getting better. We made it in record time of 8 hours! Even in spite of the construction traffic and many patrol cars out so that we even did good on gas mileage! I still don't know how that happened except the fact that it was meant to be that we get there and get there at the time we did. It was only by God's grace for sure.

Jim ended up sick the first day of our visit and even into the second day he wasn't 100% but getting better. All was calm until the day before the reunion and the day of. As usual in my SIL's life during this time of the Summer her oldest daughter again for the second Summer in a row was involved in the Softball All Stars games. She is even receiving private couching lessons for her pitching and she could of been called to pitch we just didn't know when. The opening night was Friday and it was crazy! My niece ended up not pitching but did awesome in hitting and just playing in the outfield. They won that night and my Sil said that the couch said Breanne would be pitching the next game which started at 11:00 which was the same time the reunion was to start. So now you may be getting the picture ... two events happening at the same time. MIL wants to be at the reunion right away in case the out of state cousins can not stay long and the SIL has to be at the softball game to support her daughter. The Father had a golf tournament he couldn't get out of which also was on Saturday. And us, well we of course want to see our niece pitch but the reason we were there to begin with was to support Jim's Mother in being with her at the reunion. SO...we thought it would be good to take her to the reunion at the time she wanted and then go to the game and hope to see Breanne pitch. To make a long story a little shorter and not reveal too much emotion we got to the game after it was in the 3rd inning, Breanne was not pitching and finally after 2:30 or so we decide to leave the game, take the remaining kids to the reunion where they could swim and EAT with the score tied. Also, it did not at that time that Breanne was going to pitch at all. We enter the room with MIL very angry at us that she was all by herself and that they wanted to take family pictures and she had NO FAMILY there... The two girls were in the bathroom changing into their suits and was immediately yelled at to stop what they were doing, put on a smile and get out in the heat again to take family pictures. By then the food was gone pretty much and so was my patience. We had a meltdown earlier in the day by that family member and Jim and I both thought we were doing the right thing but we had no idea that the game would linger so long and also had no idea that Breanne would not even pitch however we did see her with the only good hit from her team while we were there. My sil arrives probably a hour later and tells us that they lost and Breanne was definitely going to pitch tomorrow and could we not leave tomorrow. I let my emotions get the best of me and said we can not keep trying to please everyone because it ends up exploding in our faces. When we got home we called to find out she did pitch but only one inning and they had won one of the double headers but the second one they were in at the time they were losing.

So, all in all we learned a lot this trip. It was a mixture of emotions but I am glad we were there for my MIL even though it didn't look too good for a moment. Well, several moments! LOL Now it's braces time.... Family, Friends pass the advil!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"No good deed goes unpunished."

I think it's great that Breanne has turned into the "All-Star!" I hope Women's Softball gets a pro-league in the future (we need something to watch between the World Series and April!)

Don't they have these reunions every year? I'll really try to make next years!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a typical visit to MS. It happens everytime. There is no winning, you can never please everyone. I hope Jim is feeling better. You probably all need some relaxation today.

Rose

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna! I give you a big gold star on your permanent record for trying to please everyone!
I talked to Grandma the day you all left. She really enjoyed you all being there & appreciated that you were there for the reunion.
- Kathy