Saturday, December 8, 2007

What does Christmas mean to you?

What a strange week I have had. I started the week as being still mad about the school situation but by the end of the week I find a relief, a almost load lifted off my shoulders. We contacted the school guidance counselor for the 7Th graders and we spoke to the school psychologist who is going to give Elena a test to see what her learning style is. I think this is GREAT! Because every child learns differently and all children don't fit in the same mold. Sometimes when things happen in our lives it makes clear what really is important. Elena isn't a behavior problem, Elena has demons inside herself that is prohibiting her from having the confidence she should have to excel. But when it does, look out world!
So, my question to my readers: What does Christmas mean to you?
This past week I had volunteered to assist in helping a needy family. This family just acquired a 14 yo niece in their already large family. She was only 14 but gave birth to a baby girl which the father was the girl's own father. Sad. What we did was twice a week we pick up their laundry and wash their clothes for them. Today I returned the two large containers that held five loads of laundry and only including one load belonging to the newborn baby girl. As I was leaving one of the young children stepped outside and waved to me. THIS IS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT. I was given the best gift and that was the smile from that 4 year old boy.
My daughter doesn't know it but she is very spoiled. However she wanted to be with me when I brought the clothes back to the house. I would of brought her with me if it didn't happen during school hours. I am also very spoiled. I don't have the right to complain but I do. I spent over 100 dollars at the grocery store and PAID for it. There are many out there who can't do that kind of thing. And how about just filling your car with gas??? Well, it was 277 a gallon at Costco.
Christmas.... it can be confusing can't it?
Elena had her yearly medical exam today. She has gained 14 pounds since her last exam and is finally not listed in the lower percentile of weight for her age and she is almost in the middle as far as height. By looking at her you would think she was tall but she isn't. In fact, her cousin is taller than she is. Not much but she is younger too.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like you are getting into the "Goodwill toward men" part of the Christmas holiday. I love volunteering all year long and just doing a little extra for others at the Christmas season makes it more special. The girl scouts just made bags up for the soup kitchen in an area that has seen better days. These people are grateful for a toothbrush, & toothpaste! Boy do we take a lot for granted!
Sometimes people get so busy with life in general that they can't see others around them are really struggling just to make it through the day. You set a very good example for your daughter. :)

Rose said...

It sounds like a wonderful way for you to help this unforunate family. I'm proud of you for helping. I'm also proud of Kathy for helping others constantly. You are both teaching your children invaluable lessons.

I honestly don't feel any different at Christmas time compared to the rest of the year.

I feel like I have been blessed with a very comfortable, full life.

I haven't found a way to help others, except to donate to our favorite charity, St. Judes Childrens Hospital, regularly. I feel very strongly about the research and care that they provide. Many of the people who work for the organization are volunteers, so the money actually goes for research or care instead of salaries.

Donna, Did you receive a package from me for Elena?

Rose said...

14 pounds is quite a bit to gain, will I reconize her the next time I see her, ha! I'm glad that she is thriving.

Scotto said...

That IS great! When I have my own act together I plan on getting together with a soup kitchen or something along those lines. I was just thinking the other day that it has been an awfully long time since I've given blood.