Thought this would be a good time to take a break from trying to organize the dining room and post a entry. Yesterday was my first morning to walk with my friend Barb and today we met and walked again which was much cooler than yesterday morning. The weather is showing signs of reality that yes it is Autumn and the mountains near us have already reported having snow! There isn't a chance of snow here as far as I know on turkey day but you never know we could be hit with it and my sil will have her wish granted of spending the holidays in a 'mountain' atmosphere like that Thanksgiving a few years back where we spent with them in the mountains of N.C. and was really snowed in! That was when my Dad had the house near Boone, NC and my uncle lived up the mountain from his house. Elena still has to tell the story of how we were sliding down that mountain from the snow and ice. Of course it wasn't as dramatic but it was a anxious time. LOL Regardless, it didn't scare my sister in law enough to not ever want to have that kind of vacation again and she has been inquiring about going somewhere like that after Thanksgiving or even near Christmas.
My mother in law had her colonoscopy done yesterday which was a successful report and my husband had his yearly physical today which had a twist of events. His PSA has gone up along with his cholesterol. The doctor drew more blood to see if it was just a 'spike' and gave him a very thorough exam. We should hear from that by Thanksgiving Day. Either way he wants to check it again in 4 months and if it is still high they will do some kind of scan to see what's going on. This is a concern since his Dad had prostate cancer. I am not concerned but I think Jim is a little. I feel if he cuts down on his coffee and red meat for both issues it should be better.
Well, all us amateur cooks take note! Just because a store is bigger doesn't mean better. I went to Whole Foods yesterday searching for a certain spice for my brine solution I will have the turkey in for turkey day. I searched over and over all the big assortment of spices they had and even asked an associate for assistance and a suggestion for a alternative. The man said that if they don't have it I will probably not find it in Greenville and suggested I put some of the ground allspice in a tea diffuser and let it soak with that instead of the allspice berries I needed. OK I said and decided to stop in my local store of Publix on my way home. Just curious I looked in the spice isle and low and behold there it was. McCormick makes it and I was so glad but really disappointed that my wonderful Whole Foods Market didn't carry it. HA
Well, it is definite the final head count for Turkey Day is ten. Not too bad.
Elena has been invited to a spend the night party with a friend from church tonight. It's too bad I have spent all of Jim's hard earned money at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Whole Foods, Costco and Publix we could of gone somewhere to eat! LOL Just as well because I have much to do.
Ok, well have a great weekend my fellow bloggers.
3 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that Jim's PSA has gone up. Do you know the number?
Anthony had his go up a few times. You are right about the red meat. I think it is best to fast and have the blood drawn in the morning. Anthony's was higher once when he had a burger for lunch and then took the test that afternoon. We found that eating a variety of nuts daily (selenium) and pumpkin seeds the number did go down. The Dr even asked him what changes he made to his diet in order to lower it.
I think that maybe any type of meat or chicken that has hormones in it will make the PSA go up. This is just my guess. He should ask his DR if he should fast before taking the test.
I wish they had a better way of testing for prostate problems, I don't know if the PSA is all that accurate. Maybe they will come up with something better in the future.
Rose
Almonds are the nuts that help lower cholesterol. Hopefully a few minor diatary changes will lower his number. As my Mom said, fasting before the bloodwork & what food you eat before the bloddwork may affect the results too.
Now, about Thanksgiving....only 10 people - what time is dinner Donna? I think we can ALL make it there by 5:00 - hee hee hee! Can you imagine the circus that would be? LOL :)
- Kathy, NJ
Which spice was it? If McCormick makes it Whole Foods should have had it, but you never know. Whole Foods sometimes doesn't carry things that we'd expect them to.
Post a Comment