After debating and debating, praying and pondering then Jim says "why don't you just quit face book" I did. So many emotions that led up to all this which started last March when I rec'd my first GAL case and the grandmother on the case was actually a face book friend I had to un-friend until the case was closed. As of today, June 4, 2012 it is still open yet I have been given another case and decided that it may be a while before I could 'friend' this person again and how many other times would I have to do this? Never enjoyed "unfriending" someone. Even though they don't even know unless they wonder "I haven't heard anything from Donna lately" and find out that they were no longer friends. That is exactly how I have found out a couple of times that I was indeed un-friended. Well, actually more than twice. Anyway, we had to sign this paper that indicated the rules for social media regarding GAL program. So, being that I am one who wears her heart on her sleeve, this helped me to decide to close the accounts. Yes, accounts. I had four accounts, three for mainly Yoville a game I used to play often and the fourth one I played games plus it was considered the Main account. I was heavy into the games, playing them for hours, neglecting some other things that needed to be done. Plus, I found myself buying more game cards or just facebook credits to get things I can not even touch! This was crazy, yet it is FREE because it's on Facebook! Constantly, more and more talk of privacy issues and people who are friends because of those games were posting things that were not something I needed to be reading and seeing. Sure, many GOOD friendships have developed from that social media. One being of Cheryl who persuaded me to take the training class of the GAL (Guardian ad Litem program) and also has been such a good friend to me. I love her! Also, some other ladies who were acquaintances before from church or even from my high school days and because of being able to touch base in their lives was able to establish better relationships. But like a job, once you quit you never hear from these people again. And related to the games, I met a kindred spirit of mine, Sue who lives in California. She and I will some day see each other in person that is for sure but during such a tough time in my life she was there every day for me. Then she faced things as well that I was able to be there for her for. Of course there are others, Cindy, Rusty, David, Tammy, etc. etc! Family members who at first would stay in touch then never hear from them again except when they post to other people how much they love or miss them and never even think of you. Which brings me to a tender spot in my being that I deal with constantly. It is definitely a bondage that I still try to break free from. So my friend Cheryl asks me, will you keep one open just for special events and pictures? Can I do that without playing the games is what I answered her with that question. I know myself, NO I even tried to play those games without being on Facebook and you have to LOG into your account. Oh and Facebook makes it easy for you to come back. They never completely delete your account. And if you remember your email and password associated with that account you can reinstate it without it even looking like you were even gone! Oh, with this addictive personality I can't! Its like when I quit smoking, I had to do it "cold turkey" and not just easing off of it and I have not smoked in 15 years. Not that I never thought about it, I have. Oh my addictive personality!! HA!
As I just re-read the long above paragraph, I realize I am still dealing with my pride. What a ugly thing, pride is. I will take a break from Facebook and use the time I would of been on the game reading His Word. God will see me through this and help me discipline that ugly monster, jealousy and pride. :0)
Elena is now a senior in high school. I would be sharing all those moments with others but can't I just do it here where I can receive comments and check on their blogs if they have them as well?! Then I have my twitter account which I am still trying to figure out. That and Pinterest which is a site for those talented and creative. I am neither one.
So many social networks, so little time. Well, you have time for anything you make time for. If it's important to you, you make time for it. Exercise for example, I am still arriving at the gym at 5:00 a.m. and working out with my buddy, Karen. It's summer vacation today and I still went but fell asleep on the couch when I got home just to wake up at 10:30 when Elena gets up for the second time. She is taking care of my sister's dog and plants while they are away.
Now for the summer plans! YAY... a change of subject!!!! HA! We are going to plan a ROAD Trip! I of course would rather go on a cruise but airfare + the cost of the cruise is more than hubby wants to spend. We do have a senior in high school now don't you know!! We are planning to travel to Nashville, Tennessee, Lexington, Kentucky, Chicago, Illinois and then the ultimate destination of Minneapolis, Minnesota where my sister Mary and her family live! I have to plan that out now. But it will be an adventure!
It's perhaps our last summer with Elena where we won't be focusing on college or even who knows, a wedding! She's been dating the same guy for more than 5 months now. Longest she has ever! Oh man!! Not to say they are talking marriage, he is just from Illinois and he and his family hate it here. We are always hearing about that fact.
Well, better end for now and get to some summer projects. I am glad I kept this blog at least. Scott, if you read this... please let me know if seeing you and Margaret on our road trip will be a possibility.
:0)
Donna
6 comments:
Scott here (at work, so no ID)
I'd LOVE to see you! Let me know when you plan on being in town!
I'm so glad you blogged and shared more details about why you quit FB! I check it when I am bored, stressed, or otherwise in need of a break, but I don't play games, and I don't very many relatives on there at all, and those who are on, are rarely on and don't talk about missing people, so I don't get my feelings hurt. I've only had one friend hurt my feelings with her posts, and I will tell her so if she ever calls me.
Anyway, working from home and being alone practically ALL THE TIME--well, if I didn't have social media to rely on, I'd go nuts! I'm only connected to people I know and feel comfortable sharing my life with.
ROAD TRIP! Wheeeee. Jasmine and I are driving to Illinois next month to see my mom and other relatives. Just saw Mom in April when she was here, but I haven't been up there in 2 years! No one is getting any younger, so I gotta get going.
Speaking of Illinois...seriously??? They hate it here and want to go back??? I don't hate the Midwest, but honestly, this area is so much more beautiful. And conservative. I'm glad to be here. :-)
Brenda, We are going in July as well! Wouldn't that be a hoot if we were going around the same time? Thank you for responding to my blog explanation on why I quit Facebook. I am sure there are some who are not even aware yet. HA! Anyway, I have unfortunately found google+. And they have games!?! HA! Anyway, I signed up for Beth's organization study this summer and I guess will have participate either on twitter or some other way. I bought the e-book for my nook. It was very reasonable. Scott, we are so excited to be able to see you and in your new place! Just let me know when you can the area where I need to be looking for places close to you two to stay at.
We're going the first week of July. And I signed up for Beth's study too! I got a free copy since I was their editor. :-) I signed up for the Facebook study, though. It was between that or e-mail. I ignore my e-mail sometimes except for job-related ones. I think - Oh, I'll deal with that later, and then it just rolls right off the bottom of the page. Out of sight, out of mind...
Hello Donna, I'm so happy to see that you are still blogging! I miss you on FB, but I do understand! I was a GAL for a while and when my Mom passed away, I stopped for what I thought would be just a short time and it's now been 7 yrs. I really enjoyed the work and the children and felt that somehow I made a difference for them, because they sure impacted my life so much! I left the program because those decisions are so important and I was in no shape/mindset to make a decision about anything at that time. Maybe one day I'll go back and take the class again. Anyway, much love to you and everything you do, I know you'll be great! You are and have been an inspiration to me and you probably never even knew it. Love you! CJ
CJ, your friendship has been so important to me and still is. I appreciate the compliment you gave me. GAL program is important and it's getting more and more needed for volunteers. I have three cases at the moment. I love you and thank you for reading my blogs. Tell David hello for me!
Post a Comment