Monday, July 12, 2010

Perhaps a title this time


Hi friends.
It's another late night. Did all I can do on my games on FaceBook and back to my blog. There were a couple of questions on the 'career' I was chewing on. OK... I guess I should express my thoughts on this. See, my daughter is a big time animal lover. The main animal being the horse. We have been leasing a Appaloosa mare since last September who just gave birth to a beautiful filly a couple of weeks ago. For those not into the horse scene, I have to tell you that this beautiful animal is very expensive whether it is just riding a horse or the full responsibility of owning and the works of a horse. Consignment shops are every where for the usual clothing or household items but nothing nearby for the horse person. Riding boots to saddles there is a couple of shops but nothing in our town of Fountain Inn. My Dad has some office buildings he wants to lease or sell and I would have the office space to set up a business. BUT I need to know more about owning a business and running one plus more information in what is needed for the sport of horse riding or ownership. So, I am thinking courses at the nearby technical school for business information and also learning how to RIDE a horse from the people whom we have dealt with so that I can have a first hand knowledge in what it is all about. Owning your own business is a scary thought and in this economy I think that it will be harder to get started. BUT I need to do something. The last couple of months have been a reality slap in the face that nothing is set in stone and your life can be changed with no warning. I have a upcoming college student to support and maybe if this goes well it can be her business and I can leave it to her. So, there is a lot to 'learn' before I jump into this because I want to be sure of what I am doing. So many businesses fail because of poor management practices. There are franchises that I also can look into.
So, now those with inquiring minds that is my thought process. Tell me what you think!
Grace and Peace,
Donna

6 comments:

Brenda Covert said...

Whatever business you own, you have to love what you do. Otherwise, you're better off collecting a paycheck by working for someone else. And that's all I got!

Unknown said...

There is a big interest on my part in all this or I wouldn't be considering it at all.

Scotto said...

Sounds like you have thought this much of this out already. Is there an advantage to the franchise? Such as not having to put as much money out front for lot the merchandise? If not, I'd say go on your own!

(Oh, I am back to blogging, too!)

Brenda Covert said...

When you said you were thinking about learning to ride, I wondered if you were following Elena's interest more than your own. It's great that you love horses too! You have to love your business because you'll put in so many more hours than just 40 a week, which you probably know.

I think taking some business courses is a great idea, and maybe you can travel to some cities that have the kind of business you want to open and scope them out -- talk to the ones who are operating a franchise and see how it works for them. It seems like a really good idea for a business based on people's love for horses and the lack of a good store in this area.

And that's my 2 cents!

Rose said...

I think you have to try to find out if there is a real need for this type of business in your area. Filling a need is a great asset.

Most businesses that fail do so because of a lack of capital. You will probably not see any income for the first 2 years.

The perfect business has little or no expenses. I had a consulting firm with no overhead. I also had my husbands income with benefits to depend on.

I know several people who have different types of businesses. They seem to put most of their profit into the business and end up with little to show for their time and effort.

The type of business you are thinking of sounds like it would be terrific for Elena in the future. I understand your thinking of her future. You would establish the business now and when she takes over it could be making a profit. It is an exciting idea.

Unknown said...

I love your two cents, Brenda! I wouldn't of asked for thoughts if I didn't want to hear it. I have to admit I love other things more than horses but I think I am in the line of thought for my daughter's future more than something for me to do. You are right, I really need to love what I am doing because I will be spending a lot of time on it. It's in the thought process right now but either way I am going to have to do something. I would just love to be my own boss in what I decide to do. Right now, it looks as though Jim will be able to return back to his job soon so I have that luxury of taking my time feeling different things out. I do want to take some classes. I need to have better business knowledge no matter what I do. Someone suggested I try to sell some things out of my own home at first. That way I don't loose much if it doesn't work out and the over-head is minimal.
Scott, I will search for your blog!
I appreciate each one of you and your interest in my 'thoughts'. I have to also admit all this scares me to death. LOL
Donna