Thursday, October 16, 2008

And Now

My first blog since my surgery. Did you even know I was away? LOL Anyway, I was in the hospital for four days after having hiatal hernia repair surgery one week ago tomorrow. Happy to report they were able to perform the repair without the large incision and I am feeling pretty good for someone who not long ago had a tube down my nose into my stomach, a catheter, IV, oxygen and a pain pump attaching my body to this small 'life support' that was recording my every press of the pump and determining how I was breathing which beeped a lot and feeding me. Really I did not have to use much of the pain medication after the day of the surgery and I wasn't trying to be a brave one, just really didn't need it. Except for my head. I think if it wasn't for that I would of not known I had surgery really. Now home I am watching and coveting the wonderful solid foods my family can have as I enjoy many cups of jello, pudding and soup. Oh, yeah I can have scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes. LOL My friend Barb brought us potato soup for dinner. It was good and went down great.
Friday a.m. was the nightmare. Even having the warning about my veins and if found run away it delayed the surgery from starting at 8:00 a.m. till 8:30 a.m. I had numerous (no exaggeration) of people working on both my arms sticking here and there and still no good ones as my husband and one of our pastors watched from the doorway and prayed. One of the nurses kept telling me I needed to ask for veins for Christmas and another saying "bless her heart" over and over. I was being the the good patient trying to keep a smile on my face and understanding that they were doing the best they could till finally the anesthesiologist says "We'll have to get it in the neck". Then the tears fell without any control. The operating room nurse hugs me and tries to reassure me that they have had to do this before and as soon as I was asleep they could then move the IV to my arm where then the veins will be pumped up. She was so reassuring and I wish I could remember her name because she made me feel some better. They rolled me into the operating room without the 'don't care medicine' and there they got my neck and I remember nothing since that second. The surgery lasted 3 hours. They did run into a lot of scar tissue but I guess it wasn't so bad they couldn't continue the less evasive way.
So, I'm glad it is over but now it has birthed a new anxiety for any time they have to put a IV in me for any future procedures. Like in 2009 I will have to have a colonoscopy done.
Elena enjoyed my stay away for she ate out a lot and spent time with friends, horses and her cousins.
Jim as usual was my prince in shining armour. Always there for me and finally was able to go back to work today. Elena has a four day weekend off from school and so will not have to worry about all that is involved with a school day.
Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts for me during this time. I covet prayers to continue my getting back to the living!

4 comments:

charlestonyaya said...

Hello friend, I am glad to hear that this is behind you, and will pray that healing is on it's way. Enjoy your long weekend with Elena and be glad that you are in the Upcountry and not in sunny Florida!! love, Kathy

Rose said...

I'm glad that your ordeal is over and you are home with your loving family. Maybe someone will invent a drug that will enlarge veins before you have to have another procedure.

I'm afraid that I have gotten out of the habit of blogging lately.

A very dear friend of mine had a tumor removed from her brain this past Monday. The Dr said from looking at it, it is cancer. Before getting the test results back they have set up a schedule of Chemo. I'm wondering where the cancer began. They did a whole body cat scan to try to find the starting location, so they would know how to fight the cancer, but they don't have those results yet. It is very sad, but we must have faith and try to fight this terrible illness.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I knew you were away, though Yahoo has made it tough me to know because it never updates when you post anymore!

I hope this was your turning point and that you can start feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better!

`yvette