Saturday, November 22, 2008

absent blogger

It's been a while since my last blog. I used to be better about posting but lately I haven't been 'moved' to post a entry. I have been good about posting status updates on facebook but not been very good about 'expressing myself' on the simply donna page.
Last week was dedicated to Elena. First week without a ladies bible study meeting and I volunteered to help with the school book fair and also participated in the parent-student holiday lunch as well. It saddens me that not more parents participate this with their children. I realize that there are working parents that can't but it isn't very long out of their day and I am sure they are allocated a lunch break. Kathy, I know that in your kids' school that parents are not allowed to join their kids for lunch. Next year Elena will be in high school and of course parents showing up for lunch with their kids would be a strange sight. Elena is a different child she WANTS me there and she wants me there a lot. The mom that helped also with me for the book fair told me that her daughter is embarrassed when she sees her mother at school. Not my child! I used to work with a woman at the paper who had a child like my daughter. She even used to tell me about how different her daughter was that she even still in middle school and high school would tell her she loved her and that most of the kids would rather DIE than to be affectionate to their mom in front of others. At the school her P.E. teacher was boasting about Elena about how much of a joy she is that teachers only dream of having students like Elena and that I was doing something right. I told her it wasn't me but the good Lord. She says "well God helped I am sure but it is you". I didn't pursue the comment because I know that I am not worthy of any praise with Elena. Elena has been a joy, challenge and a mystery since we met her on August 18, 1995 and our lives were changed. We asked for it and we were blessed immensely. Elena's unique personality is hard for some to take but those who really want to know her love her deeply. Elena and I this evening went to the leader's home of the community group we are involved in now. We are giving advent gifts to the homeless children of a children's home for Christmas. For 7 days ending on Christmas the children will unwrap a gift from us which has a note of encouragement or a bible verse for them that we wrote and decorated this evening. Elena was very creative and sweet with each of her notes she created. It was a blessing to witness that in her.
I had a successful last visit with the surgeon this week as well. He has cut me loose and I am not required to go back unless problems occur. This past week I had no problems at all. I stepped on the scales for the first time in a while and saw a 14 pound loss since my surgery. I have been eating smaller portions and really trying to pay attention in how I eat. I really chew my food well and have not had any more problems with swallowing. I have felt better than I have in a long time. I have to admit there is still some sleep habits that need to be adjusted.
Sunday evening I am having Thanksgiving dinner with my family locally. Then on Wednesday we are going to spend some time at the beach. First time we have been there since last June. It is something that I might as well be the one who lives out of state like my sister because I am there less time than the rest of family who lives nearby. No fault but my own. We aren't taking my niece this time either. Maybe next time we go she can go with us. Elena loves her so much.
I hope all have a blessed Thanksgiving if I don't post again before it comes around. I am so blessed to have you all as friends and family.
Grace and Peace,
Donna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go into the kids schools for lunch as a volunteer (passing out napkins/straws/ect.) when they were in elemantary school & they wanted parents to come in. Both kids LOVED that I did that. They have never allowed parents to come in to each lunch here because there are just so many kids in the schools! No more!
A child who enjoys spending time with/seeing their parent is a wonderful testament to the parents in my book so ... Good Job! :)
Glad you are feeling better.
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
- Kathy, NJ

Rose said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. The relationship that you have with Elena is a true blessing. Elena is a treasure.

I hope you have a nice dinner with your family today and a wonderful getaway trip to the beach.

Love,
Rose

charlestonyaya said...

It was great to read an update, but I sure understand about not posting. I am there. Life is just too crazy!! Have a wonderful time at the beach!! David and I are having our first quiet Thanksgiving here with no traveling back to SC. Kelly is going to my family in Sumter, and Kaiti and family are heading to Laurens to be with Robert's family. So thankful that prayers are being answered concerning your health. Post again soon!! love, Kathy